Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Happy Birthday

This post is just to show you two birthday cakes I've done recently.
The first was for Ms. L's surprise birthday party. Its a simple semi-homemade French Vanilla with cream cheese frosting.

Semi Homemade French Vanilla Cake
-One box of vanilla cake mix and the oil, water, and eggs called for on package
- Clear Imitation Vanilla
-French Vanilla Flavored Coffee Creamer (the liquid, not the powder)
-Cinnamon

After mixing the cake mix per directions, add a tsp of clear vanilla, 2 TBSP of the creamer, and a few shakes of cinnamon. Mix again, and bake! Its that simple and it makes such a difference! After the cake is cooled, even out the layers, cover in frosting, and viola!



Serious credit to my dad on this one. I can't pipe cursive to save my life, so I let him have a go. Someone make him teach me one day!
This guy over here is a basic yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. Yeah, thats right. CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM. The easiest frosting I have ever made. I have to warn you though, if you plan on covering your cake with it and then decorating with it, CHILL the cake first, if not your decorations will run down the side of the cake (don't ask me how I know, I don't want to talk about it).
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup solid vegtable shortening (I used the butter flavor one, made a big flavor difference)
1/2 cup butter or magerine
4 cups (about 1 lb.) powdered sugar
1 tsp clear vanilla
2 tsp milk.

Cream the butter and shortening. Add the powdered sugar gradually, one cup at a time. If you have a mixer (stand up or hand held), USE IT. I can't imagine how messy this would be without one. After you have added all the sugar, add the vanilla. If your icing is dry, add the milk. It should be a teeny but runny, but should coat the back of a spoon without dripping off. Cover with a moist paper towel until ready to use.

Hope you like it!
<3 JessyBakesCakes

1 comment: